Sunday 28 July 2013

Working With What You Have

Remember this?

I was super inspired and excited about my design proposal for my client's dining room.

Here is what I came up with:





1.Barker & Stonehouse Chair  2.Ikea Stockholm Dining Table  3.Crystal Chandelier - image 17 here

I chose the Saarinen-like uphostered chairs to soften the room, and the Ikea Stockholm table for its warm wood tone and interesting legs. Hanging above the table are two crystal chandeliers, and on the back wall, two framed pieces balance out the off-centre window. I also had big plans for a traditional rug and modern geometric pillows on the bench.

Then I was shot down in flames. Womp womp.

Well, not quite. After much thought and deliberation, my client decided to to redistribute the budget and use his existing dining set. We did get the chandelier, but just one, as the dining table is smaller than the Ikea Stockholm.

I was quite disappointed, but its all a part of the process I suppose.

I read so many great design blogs, but they never seem completely realistic in that they never seem to mention proposals being rejected. In many ways it's like Facebook - people only show you what they want you to see. So I thought I would share this experience anyway, because sometimes you just have to work with what you have.

I will keep you posted on how the room progresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers