Then I saw this post over at the 700 experience and thought maybe I could put my own spin on it. I had seen something similar a while ago here, and it was doing major rounds on Pinterest, but to be honest it looked like hard work and that it would create a right mess.
Suddenly, I had a brief genius moment!
I decided I would be super
I started in a rather organised manner. I sketched out perimeters and marked even spaced circles where I would start my "drippings", before filling in the blanks when they were dry (as I didn't want the colours to bleed and read as muddy).
I carried on this way for quite sometime and before I knew it I was two hours in and it still looked like this:
At this point my boyfriend raised his eyebrows and said "I don't get art", which loosely translates to "That looks like ----".
Still, I soldiered on, becoming more temerarious with the brush as time went on, until finally it began to look like this:
Several hours, two water bowl changes and fight with the aforementioned Ikea frame later, I was finally done. (FYI, the frame won - I ended up ever so slightly breaking it.)
I hung it landscape, cuz I'm capricious like that.
Although it took much longer to complete than expected, I'm happy enough with the result to leave it be until I find something better to replace it.